Frequently Asked Questions

Exporting Basics: Preparing and Shipping Goods

Are any special certifications required for food and agricultural products?

Imported food and agricultural products are generally subject to health and sanitary standards in most countries. In many cases, importing countries will accept sanitary and phyto-sanitary certificates for animal, plant and food products issued by approved testing organizations in the exporting country. In the U.S., several Department of Agriculture agencies provide inspection services when certificates are required. For example:

The Federal Grain Inspection Service (FGIS) conducts mandatory inspections of rice, peas, beans, lentils, all grains, and grain-based processed products.

The Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) conducts inspections to certify that no pests or mites are present in certain products, such as fruits, vegetables, plants, seeds, lumber and logs.

« Back to Exporting Basics

Need Help?

Can’t find the answer to your question? Identify the Pennsylvania County where your company is located to access the contact information for your local Regional Export Network Partner.