Frequently Asked Questions

Exporting Basics: Documentation

When do I need a Shippers Export Declaration and where do I get one?
The Shipper's Export Declaration (SED or Form 7525-V) is used by the U.S. Census Bureau to compile trade statistics and to help prevent illegal exports. See Shippers Export Declaration in Trade Compass for a copy of the form and instructions on how to fill it out. SEDs must be filled out for any shipment valued at $2,500 or above; any shipment to particular countries, such as Eastern Europe, the former Soviet Union, Cuba, Laos, Libya, Mongolia and North Korea; any shipment requiring a validated export license; and any shipments to Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands and the former Pacific Trust Territories even though they are not considered exports. Shipments to Canada do not require an SED. The SED for hand-carried "tools of the trade" should be filed directly with U.S. Customs at the airport at least two hours before flight time.

« Back to Exporting Basics

Need Help?

Can’t find the answer to your question? Identify the Pennsylvania County where your company is located to access the contact information for your local Regional Export Network Partner.