Frequently Asked Questions

Exporting Basics: U.S. Export Regulations

Do I need a license to take my laptop and professional equipment overseas?
The U.S. Government typically does not restrict travelers from taking laptops out of the country for personal business use. However, some equipment, including some high-speed or encrypted laptop computers, do require an export license from the Department of Commerce's Bureau of Industry & Security (BIS). Also, some technical materials, sophisticated equipment, and goods taken to certain countries will need a license. If you are unsure whether or not an export license is required for your laptop or other materials, we advise you contact BIS (202-482-4811).

« Back to Exporting Basics

Need Help?

Can’t find the answer to your question? Identify the Pennsylvania County where your company is located to access the contact information for your local Regional Export Network Partner.