Frequently Asked Questions

Exporting Basics: Trade Terms

What are EIN, VAT, RFC and BN numbers and how can I obtain them?
These are tax-identification numbers assigned by the government. In the U.S., a company tax ID number is called an EIN (Employer Identification Number). In Europe, it is called a VAT (Value Added Tax number); in Mexico, an RFC number; and in Canada, a BN (Business Number). Governments require a tax ID number on certain documents. If you do not know your own tax ID number, check with your tax preparer. If you do not have one, contact your country's tax authorities. Contact the person you are doing business with for his or her tax ID number.

« Back to Exporting Basics

Need Help?

Can’t find the answer to your question? Identify the Pennsylvania County where your company is located to access the contact information for your local Regional Export Network Partner.