Frequently Asked Questions

Trade Problems & Barriers: Foreign Trade Barriers

What happens if the other country does not remove the barrier?

If the compliance process begun by the TCC does not result in resolving the problem, and if the officials of the foreign country cannot be convinced to act positively, then the U.S. government may examine whether it should turn toward active enforcement of our trade rights.

Agreements such as the WTO and NAFTA provide for enforceable dispute settlement. If the TCC is unable to achieve voluntary compliance on the part of the other country, it then turns to USTR's Enforcement Office and seek to have the problem considered for dispute settlement procedures.

« Back to Trade Problems & Barriers

Need Help?

Can’t find the answer to your question? Identify the Pennsylvania County where your company is located to access the contact information for your local Regional Export Network Partner.