Frequently Asked Questions

International Logistics: Tariffs

Is there a tariff (duty) that applies to my product in a foreign country?

In order to determine a specific tariff, you must first classify your product according to its Harmonized System (HS) number.  Then contact you local Pennsyvania Regional Export (REN) Partner to find out if their resources can provide you with accurate information on the tariff rates for your products in a specific country or contact your freight forwarder.

Tariff and tax information is available from the Internet, private sources, and from the federal government. For official rates, it is always best to contact customs authorities in the country to which a product will be exported. For example, if a product is being exported from the United States to France, French customs authorities should be contacted for official tariff and tax information. The TIC can provide unofficial, estimated tariff duty and tax rates for non-agricultural products for certain countries, as well as contact information for foreign customs authorities.

Note: The U.S. Government cannot provide tariff rates for products shipped from one country outside the United States to another (i.e., from France to Brazil).

« Back to International Logistics

Need Help?

Can’t find the answer to your question? Identify the Pennsylvania County where your company is located to access the contact information for your local Regional Export Network Partner.