Exporting Basics: Basics
What should I consider when making the decision to begin exporting and how do I begin?
There are many ways to become involved in exporting, from filling orders for domestic buyers (such as export trading companies that then export the product) to exporting products yourself. However you choose to export, the development of a detailed and thorough strategy is an important part of the planning process. Steps in developing a strategy include:
- Evaluating your product’s export potential;
- Determining if you are really willing to make a commitment to international markets and evaluating whether your company is “export-ready”;
- Identifying key foreign markets for your products through market research;
- Evaluating distribution and promotional options and establishing an overseas distribution system;
- Determining export prices, payment terms, methods, and techniques;
- Familiarizing yourself with shipping methods, export documentation procedures, export financing, and other requirements for exporting.
Your trade specialist (at your local Pennsylvania Regional Export Network Partner) can help your company analyze its export potential, contact them via the contact us section on the homepage. The Export Tutorials section of the website is also available to help you better understand the export process and evaluate your company’s export-readiness. Be sure to take the Export Readiness Assessment also available from the home page.
« Back to Exporting Basics